Saturday, September 14, 2013

SBBC Day 12- Advice to the young

My SBBC posts are ever so slightly all over the place, and I do apolagise, but I'm catching up as best I can.

Keeping with a recent trend, This is me exposing my softer side (I'm a big softie and I'm not even sorry!). While I'm writing this post my 19 month old niece is as the forefront of my mind, so I'll dedicate this to her, baby Grace. I'm gonna phrase it as if I was writing to her.

Grace,

Throughout your life you are going to get mountains of advice from many, many different people, and words from your silly old aunt will likely mean nothing to you. But while you're reading this, do remember that I was once young and going through pretty much everything you will find yourself going through. I'm not stupid or naive, I know it's hard to take advice from your elders, so I'm fully aware that everything I say will probably fall on deaf ears.

That said, I want to pass on to you a piece of advice that has been invaluable to me since I was old enough to fully understand it. Always remember that 'Beauty is only skin deep'. Be kind, be thoughtful, be accommodating, be a good listener, be generous with your time and wisdom, be open minded and tolerant, be fun and carefree, be everything I wish I had been, be the kind of person people go to for advice, but also the person that people will welcome with open arms. Give hugs often, and accept them even more often. Let people cry on your shoulder, because you'll need them someday too. Don't pick your friends because they love your beautiful face, pick them because they love your beautiful soul. People can be fickle, but a good person never goes out of fashion.

Grace, you're only 19 months old and I already love you more than I thought I could ever love anything. You have changed, and matured me more than I thought possible. You have taught me more than I will ever teach you, and I can only hope that someday these words have some impact on you. I can already see your little personality blooming and you are larger than life. You're bloody hard work at times, but you brighten my day when I hear you knocking on my door. Please, I beg of you, stay as absolutely beautiful on the inside as you are right now. I daren't dream how you'll grow up, because I'd never set limitations on you, you can be, and do, absolutely anything you set your gorgeous little mind to. Who knows, maybe someday in the distant future you'll read this, and no doubt you'll slag me off to your friends, but please, after you finish slagging me, and have shrugged off the embarrassment, remember what I told you..... 'Beauty is only skin deep'

Lots and lots, and an obscene amount of love, your silly old aunt,

Katrina xx

No comments:

Post a Comment